Today I am going to explain how I have mixed and mastered The Bournemouth Symphony Choirs live performance of “I Was Glad”, written and composed by Charles Hubert Hastings.
How did I mix the choir? Well to put it simply, I didn’t.
When listening back to the recording I did not feel the need to add anything to the mix, neither repair work or treatment. The recording sounds as if I was there recording it again. I checked the track in Mono to see if any problems occurred and found that no issues could be heard. I then proceeded to pan both Sontronics STC 1 tracks towards their assigned directions, panned 100% left and right. Capturing the true stereo image of the choir in all it’s magnificent glory.
When given such an amazing space with tremendous acoustic properties you don’t want to mess with that (within the mix) if you don’t have to. Using the room to your advantage and also using the microphones chosen correctly eliminates having to repair issues within the mixing process. I feel this is a perfect example of getting it right from the source.
I mastered “I Was Glad” using Pro Tools built in mastering limiter Maxim. The threshold was set as -0.1dB and the track was set specifically in 16 bit 41.1kHz to meet the red book CD regulations. All four mixed tracks were imported into a new Pro Tools session to get the the volume level equal. Each track had to flow between one another on playback. Mastering the four tracks as a whole was a little bit tricky, due to the versatility of all four tracks and how different they are. However I feel I managed to get a comfortable and balanced Mastered CD.